Friday, December 26, 2014

Pretty Spectacular

Merry (belated) Christmas!  I hope you romped and frolicked and dined and enjoyed the most lovely niceties of a holiday nature. :)

I was enjoying a quiet house this afternoon while my son napped, and my husband was at work, allowing thoughts to wander (which they are wont to do).  I experienced a really lovely moment of clarity, looking back on the events of 2014.  It has been, I think without doubt, the most challenging year to date, for me.  This is due to the undeniable fact that in this year, I believe I have grown more within myself than at any other time of my life.  That is to say, I believe at this point and time, I know myself better than I ever have.

For anyone that has spent any time trying to accomplish this intensely personal feat, you will no doubt nod your head when I profess that it is one of the most frightening adventures you can attempt.  I have been forced, none too gently, to confront and overcome some gharish monsters I've been hiding away.  On top of that, I have determined it is time for me to acknowledge my potential.  What I could never have anticipated, is that in doing so, I have come to admit that I have been guilty of settling.

I find it an ugly word.
Other words I have come to despise are: mediocre, average, expected, typical, ordinary, standard, common...

In 2014, the thing I have come to face, again and again, is how little I want these words to serve as a description of my life.

What is to stop me from living the life of my dreams, but my own fears?  I have spent hours and hours reading books and watching documentaries of people who started with a desire, and made it a physical reality.  There are many more than you would ever imagine!  Isn't it amazing how many excuses I've come up with, as to why I could never live an extraordinary life?

What makes it even more funny, is that it isn't as if I am still figuring out my desires.  I know what it is I want to achieve in my life.  Every thrilling, heart-stopping, risk-taking, passionate, heartfelt moment of it.  I am ridiculously fortunate enough to have a husband that not only encourages me to dream big, but puts his dreams right next to mine and holds my hand while we pursue them.  Together.

And so, my dear, few, but lovingly loyal readers, that brings me to right now.

Mark my words.
2015 is my year.



I am standing on the edge of a cliff, ready to jump with both feet.
I don't know what the fall will bring.

I'll tell you what I do know, though.
I know exactly where I am headed. 
Because the view from up here is pretty spectacular.

No comments: