Friday, July 26, 2013

I Say Things.

Ladies, never base the decision to move on a boy.
It makes it difficult to ever regain a social life.

I moved to Arizona a little over 2 years ago from Utah for the sole purpose of marrying my soul mate, and hey, it did actually work out for me.  But let me tell ya, I didn't realize some of the side affects.

Mainly the one where socially... I am now a square peg in a round hole.

Let me be clear, I made the right decision.  Just that picking up everything for one person is a lot.

I had a really solid group of friends I saw daily before moving.  Not exaggerating.  We were inseparable.
A Fearsome Threesome
In fact, I was quite the social butterfly in Utah.  The person who somehow has a thing every night.  Always somewhere to be.  I liked staying busy.  I liked feeling like I was experiencing a lot.

But somehow after 2 years, I have not made a single friend in AZ. 

#feelingpathetic

And maybe I am at the point where desperation has punched reason out the window.

Because, see, I am a pretty open person by nature.  I make weird confessions, am overly sarcastic, have no athletic skill, and laugh at inappropriate things.

And up until now, I didn't realize that not everyone shares in my enthusiasms.
Go figure.

I've met some perfectly pleasant people.  But it doesn't take long before something I do/say receives the "let's pretend that didn't happen" look.
I am having issues moving past the acquaintance phase.

But maybe there is hope.  I decided to overcome what has become a near phobia of friendship attempts, and invite a girl I know to see a movie with me.

The evening went pretty well.  I think I kept my embarrassing/overly revealing confessions to a minimum, and managed to keep all inappropriate/sex puns and jokes out of the conversation.  We giggled a lot, which was nice.  Genuine giggles, no courtesy laughs (I hope).

And then... the end of our evening arrived, and we were winding down the conversation, and it went sort of like this:

B:  This was really fun!  We should hang out more.
J:  Ahaha, be careful, an offer like that I would be tempted to take advantage of.
B: That's fine with me!
J: I'm just going to constantly harass you now...

I'm just going to constantly harass you now.

Ah, and it was going so well.
She did smile though, which reassured me she doesn't think I'm a creeper.

I call that friend potential. :)
Watch out world.
I'm making social advances.

No comments: