Because so many other people frequently write this blog.
(zing, still got it)
I recently attended a showcase hosted by a few of the most successful people in my industry. Pleasantly, I have had the joy of learning from these individuals before, although every instance is a new kind of rush for me. Let me tell you something about spending lots of time around the elite.
They are where they are because they want it more than you do.
That's it.
They started with just as much debt, doubts, and low self-esteem. They had little to no support, they feared the unknown, and they had every single rejection that could slash them in the gut.
It is as much a choice for us, as it was for them. I was reminded of a quote from one of my favorite actors:
"So many of us choose our path out of fear disguised as "practicality". What we really want seems impossibly out of reach and ridiculous to expect, so we never dare to ask the universe for it! I'm saying... that you can ask the universe for it. Life doesn't happen to you, it happens FOR you. As far as I can tell, it's just about letting the universe know what you want, while working toward it, and while letting go of how it comes to pass." -Jim Carrey
I challenge you to ask yourself when and why you stopped saying you were going to be a pro basketball player, or a singer in a band, or a fashion designer. When did you stop writing in your journal about the animal shelters you wanted to open, or the hungry children you wanted to help feed? What about all the places you haven't yet been? I bet you I know some of the answers.
Which one is it? Time, money, or both? Or maybe, you are like me, and sometimes fight the battle of believing you are actually worth a summer home in England. That you have the ability to reach out and find homes for orphans around the world. That you can find the words to inspire people to be the best versions of themselves.
Maybe you feel like you can't be a leader, or even a doer.
Please know, I understand.
This last weekend, a beautiful woman by the name of Susan Sly told me that the first thing great achievers need to do is bite the lemon.
Take a good hard look at yourself and acknowledge all the unpleasant, sour, bitter things that are holding you back. Some of them you can fix and maybe some you can't. But own up that they are there, and move forward with your plan ANYWAY. Bite down hard. Chew those suckers up, and swallow.
If the last few months have taught me anything, it is that the darkness present in my life is NOT who I am. Perhaps to some that sounds like an obvious conclusion to come to. Yes, but that is a belief easier said than understood.
I am going to get there either way.
Come hell or high water.
With or without you.
And though I still have to fight the urge to push the lemons in my life aside.
They have lost their power to hold me back.
Kinda makes me a little giddy, truth be told.
-Insert sigh of contentment here-

No comments:
Post a Comment