Thursday, October 24, 2013

Blogtober Day 24: I'm Not Offended

"No offense."

"I don't want to offend you."

"I hope this isn't offensive."

of.fend (uh-fend) v.
to cause resentful displeasure.

If I hear that word one more time, I will be offended.

Due to my current career choice, and due to the fact that I converse with other human beings frequently, I am painfully aware of how afraid we are of each other.  Honestly, I understand.  I'm guilty as well.  But when did it get so bad?

We are so afraid of how we are perceived by others, it becomes difficult to be yourself anymore.

There is a balance we should strive for.  Mind your manners, and be respectful, sure.  But don't be afraid to speak your mind.  Don't be afraid to voice an opinion or stand up for someone.  I am so tired of holding back simply because I am afraid of offending someone.  Because I am afraid of displeasing someone.

I am well aware that common sense has long gone out the window in the world we inhabit.  But can't we all just try?

This starts with each of us individually.  If we could stop being so judgemental and start being more open to each other's situations, we'd be happier.  I'm positive.

People are often afraid to ask me about my religious beliefs, unsure if I will be annoyed or upset.  You shouldn't be!  What reason do I have to be angry?  You are curious.  Maybe you've heard some rumours.  Maybe you've even got a belief of your own you are aching to debate in comparison to mine.  Whatever.  Most of the time, I charge forward with the belief that you are NOT trying to offend me.

I feel that should always be the assumption until proven otherwise.

Every day, we are angry and offended by complete strangers... without a dang reason.

Really, think about it!

How many times have you honked at the guy who pulled ahead of you at the drive-thru?
How many times have you looked at someone who is overweight and shaken your head?
How many times have you seen a cashier struggling on her first shift and rolled your eyes because you had to wait another 2 minutes.

Take a chill pill.

Stop being miffed and offended by the slightest inconveniences.

Gosh, I'm just over it.

This wasn't supposed to be a rant.

I just want us all to get along, dangit.

If you want to talk to me about anything, really, anything at all.  Please feel free.
I'm officially not offended.

No comments: